Hone in on the details
Here i need you to review the major rooms/areas of the home that buyers will pay particular interest to. THese areas include 1. curb appeal, 2. kitchen, 3. bathrooms (in particular the ensuite), 4. master bedroom, 5. backyard, and lastly the furnace/utility room.
1. Curb appeal - Love at first sight! Make sure that the exterior is clean, including front door (maybe fresh coat of paint), trim is painted nicely, and there aren't any dirty finger prints all over the front door. The lawn should be nicely manicured, and flower beds have been weeded.
2. Kitchen - This is where the house is sold/left for the next potential buyer. You can't really change the floor plan and cabinetry in the kitchen (short of total renovation), but you can control how it appears. We want nothing left on the counter tops. Clutter will be the demise of your kitchen. If the buyer suspects there is not enough counter space....next house. Counter tops should be as bare as possible. Wipe out the insides of your cainets. Yes, buyers will look inside and if the dust bunnies hop out.....not good. Kitchen appliances. Gotta love stainless steel.....except the finger prints, dog nose prints, and last nights left overs stuck to the door handle. Make those appliances SHINE! In the dining room, you may even want to set out a very charming dinner set, and add a splash of color for a awarm feeling.
3. Master ensuite - Clean, counter tops barren, maybe a coupe bath towels folded and laid out (resembling a fine hotel). Pluming fixtures should be spotless.
4. Master bedroom - Clean, clothes put neatly away. The bed should be made and if you have accent pillows/blankets, use them in a fashionable way. Your room may have "your odor" and you dont even know it. Recommend airing out the bedroom (keep window slightly open).
5. Backyard - This is where the buyer will picture the kids playing, enjoying summer evenings, weekend coffee or family bar-b-ques. If you have a dog PLEASE CLEAN UP THE FECES. There is no more of a turn off!!!! Like the front yard, manicure with fresh cut grass, weeded, repair broken fence (paint if it is a very tired fence). Clear out all the kids toys.
6. Utility room - make sure it is clean, wipe down tanks, change furnace filter. Make sure it looks presentable. Calcium build up in your humidier? Clean it!
Thanks for stopping by this week. Next week is step four to staging your next open house. Until then, have a great week and get started on staging for your next open house!
Post Your Comment: